Protecting Your Public Water Supply… Why Groundwater Protection?
Wellhead Protection as a Six-Step Program
- Select a Planning Team. Utilize staff, community leaders and elected officials.
- Delineate the Protection Area. We at rural water take the lead here and map the area most likely to be influenced by spills and leaks.
- Identify the Potential Contaminant Sources (PCS’s) within the delineated area. The source water assessment plan (SWAP) is the beginning point for finding these PCS’s.
- Management Approaches to the PCS’s. Voluntary and regulatory approaches can be used to protect your wells.
- Development of a Contingency/ Emergency Response Plan. Planning for the what ifs in life is important to our water customers to insure good quality water for a lifetime.
- Update your plan: Every 5 years your plan should be completely updated. Plans should be
updated sooner if wells are abandoned or new ones added.