Water Taste Contest
North Carolina Rural Water intends to find out who has the best-tasting water in the state. Enter your sample and let the judges decide. Winner will compete nationally at the NRWA Water Rally in Washington DC.
- Participating system must be a member of NCRWA.
- Systems must be in good standing and have no current violations for Bacteriological or Contaminant monitoring.
- Personal attendance is required for the competition. If a representative from the utility’s water system cannot attend the conference, the ORC of the system may appoint an alternate representative to submit their sample and attend the contest on their behalf.
- Samples shall be collected by a North Carolina “Certified Operator.” The operator collecting the sample is certifying that by entering the contest that the water was taken from a “representative tap” located in the system and has received no further treatment before or after collection.
- Sample must be collected in an unmarked nonreturnable quart glass mason jar.
- Samples are to be submitted at the registration desk from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- Each sample will be logged in and assigned a number in order to maintain anonymity.
- The panel of four judges will be a mix of local public figures and industry professionals not affiliated with or consulting for any contestant.
- Samples will be judged in a random order.
- A chilled 50 ml sample will be prepared and given to each judge. The judges will then evaluate the sample on the following grading scale.
- Taste 1-10 (1 being poor and 10 being excellent)
- Odor 1-10 (1 being poor and 10 being excellent)
- Color 1-10 (1 being poor and 10 being excellent)
- Clarity 1-10 (1 being poor and 10 being excellent)
- The sample with the highest cumulative score will be given the title of “Best Tasting Drinking Water in North Carolina 2017.”
- The second- and third-rated samples will be recognized.